Skip to main content

Week 10

This week, I really enjoyed speaking with Emily about her business. I feel like I learned a lot about starting and owning your own business. Talking with her made me feel like starting my own business is not the craziest idea. I think that it is something that I could do. Especially with just a small, at home business. As I was talking to her and contemplating the questions for the paper, it really made me think about what I think success is. I realized that to me, success in your business, is having it run the way you want it to and have it be profitable. I think that having your definition of success is important so that when you have a business, you will know if you are successful or not.

I also really enjoyed the readings this week. "The Challenge to Become" is one of my all-time favorite talks. I think that that is our first priority in this life; to be truly converted to the gospel of Jesus Christ. I also really enjoyed the "License to Pursue Dreams." As I listened to Marissa Mayer talk, I realized how important it is to give time to be creative and do your own thing. Even though I am a stay-at-home mom, I often get caught up in the tasks and chores of daily life and do not take time for myself to do the things that I enjoy. Mayer talked about giving employees 20% of their time to be able to spend on their own pursuits. Even though they are in the work-force, I think that that 20% should also apply to stay-at-home moms. When I take time to do things that I enjoy and can explore and use my mind in a different way, I feel so much happier. I think that I need to be more conscientious to give myself 20% to pursue my own projects.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 14

Last blog post! That's an exciting thing. As I reflect over the past semester, I am grateful for the things I have learned in this class. It was a much different experience than I had anticipated when I signed up for it. It was not so much about learning about being an entrepreneur, but more so learning about yourself and finding your life plan. I liked learning about how others find balance. It was nice to read how so many people struggle with finding balance in their life and that it is pretty much something that is a work in progress. One of the most poignant things about balance, that stood out to me, was from one of the videos. He talked about how we sometimes visualize balance as a pendulum and if the ball is fairly in the center, than we are balanced. He then went on to explain that there will be times when our pendulum goes to one side or the other, but as long as in the long scheme of things you aren't always on one side, then you are balanced. I felt like that was s

Week 6

I really enjoyed this week's readings and videos. They addressed a lot of the things that have concerned me about being an entrepreneur. First, I loved Elder Tanner's talk. It was kind of great that he was talking about the responsibility of the Priesthood because in my Foundations of the Restoration class we were talking about the Priesthood and I was able to kind of combine some of the things I learned there with the things I learned in this class and vice-versa. I loved Elder Tanner's example of his grandson's diligence in being a "100 percenter." I think we should all strive to be 100 percenters. Then as I was watching Jan Newman's video, he talked about being loyal to family and to God. I loved how he said that we should never be too busy to accept a calling. I think that this is an important thing and it kind of ties in to being a 100 percenter. We really need to take things as they come. It is important to remember to keep the Lord as our first prio