Skip to main content

Week 8

I really enjoyed this week's readings and videos. Elder Holland's video is probably one of my most favorites (actually the whole talk is one of my all time favorites). But, it was a good reminder that everyone encounters tough times. We just have to keep pressing forward. As I have contemplated the obstacles that I may face as I look for a career, I keep coming back to the fact that I am probably my biggest obstacle. I have a lot of fear, worry and insecurity about taking a step toward something.

In one of my other classes this week, I had to interview a BYU-I alumni. It happened to be a girl who is in a very similar stage of life as I am and she has her own photography business. It was good to listen to her talk about her experience and how she began. She said that her husband was actually the driving force and that she was nervous to start. It just seemed so relatable to me and really made me think about what is stopping me. I then thought back to the readings and videos from this week. I really thought about Sister and Elder Hollands talk. In it, Elder Holland says, "But in life’s most crucial and telling tasks, my plea is to stick with it, to persevere, to hang in and hang on, and to reap your reward" (However Long and Hard the Road). This then reminded me of the book, "Mastery." I think that in different words, Elder Holland and George Leonard are saying the same thing. Keep with it. Stay on the path. 

My goal now is to figure out what path I want to take. This semester has really helped me to look inward and try and figure out what it is that I really want to do in life. I have come up with a few ideas. For instance, I am now contemplating clinical counseling, nursing, and starting a cake business. I think a lot of the challenge for me is finding a career that can have some flexibility and will allow me to keep my focus on my family, while also finding something that I would enjoy. I thought it was hard when I was younger, but I feel like not having the stress of "having" to have a career makes it even more difficult. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 14

Last blog post! That's an exciting thing. As I reflect over the past semester, I am grateful for the things I have learned in this class. It was a much different experience than I had anticipated when I signed up for it. It was not so much about learning about being an entrepreneur, but more so learning about yourself and finding your life plan. I liked learning about how others find balance. It was nice to read how so many people struggle with finding balance in their life and that it is pretty much something that is a work in progress. One of the most poignant things about balance, that stood out to me, was from one of the videos. He talked about how we sometimes visualize balance as a pendulum and if the ball is fairly in the center, than we are balanced. He then went on to explain that there will be times when our pendulum goes to one side or the other, but as long as in the long scheme of things you aren't always on one side, then you are balanced. I felt like that was s

Week 10

This week, I really enjoyed speaking with Emily about her business. I feel like I learned a lot about starting and owning your own business. Talking with her made me feel like starting my own business is not the craziest idea. I think that it is something that I could do. Especially with just a small, at home business. As I was talking to her and contemplating the questions for the paper, it really made me think about what I think success is. I realized that to me, success in your business, is having it run the way you want it to and have it be profitable. I think that having your definition of success is important so that when you have a business, you will know if you are successful or not. I also really enjoyed the readings this week. "The Challenge to Become" is one of my all-time favorite talks. I think that that is our first priority in this life; to be truly converted to the gospel of Jesus Christ. I also really enjoyed the "License to Pursue Dreams." As I l

Week 6

I really enjoyed this week's readings and videos. They addressed a lot of the things that have concerned me about being an entrepreneur. First, I loved Elder Tanner's talk. It was kind of great that he was talking about the responsibility of the Priesthood because in my Foundations of the Restoration class we were talking about the Priesthood and I was able to kind of combine some of the things I learned there with the things I learned in this class and vice-versa. I loved Elder Tanner's example of his grandson's diligence in being a "100 percenter." I think we should all strive to be 100 percenters. Then as I was watching Jan Newman's video, he talked about being loyal to family and to God. I loved how he said that we should never be too busy to accept a calling. I think that this is an important thing and it kind of ties in to being a 100 percenter. We really need to take things as they come. It is important to remember to keep the Lord as our first prio